Thursday, November 10, 2011

A big THANK YOU! ! ! !

We are out of school tomorrow for Veterans Day, so today I used the opportunity to share with my students about a holiday that's close to my heart.
See, my nephew is currently serving a second tour in Iraq and I really don't think before his involvement, I really understood just how important this day is. I think a common misconception / misunderstanding is that Veterans Day and Memorial Day are about the same, but they're not. Memorial Day is more for remembering those who have died serving our country or in a war. Veterans Day is a day to honor those deceased and living who have served or continue to serve our country.
I explained to them in detail how we are so lucky to have so many freedoms here in our country. They could not believe that some countries don't have the freedom to go to the church of their choice, own a cell phone, or even have internet access! It really opened their eyes.
Well, to make the point more "close to home", I had my students decorate a medal for a member of their family or someone they know who is or was in the military.
Boy, was I surprised! I had no idea there were so many, just in my two classes!


THANK YOU, veterans! We are so appreciative of the job you do everyday to keep us safe and free! ! ! !

No comments:

Post a Comment